Fizzing, Foaming, and Oozing: Tara's Interview


If you live in the Northeast and notice the sky glowing one day somewhere in the vicinity of Central Maine, don't be too concerned.

It's probably just Owen, Tara's son, working on his latest experiment. Owen has a particular fondness for chemistry and that really keeps Tara on her toes.

Tara blogs at Periwinkles and Pine and boy is she a fantastic photographer!

I feel like I'm right there with Owen as he works on his various projects. And best of all, I don't have to clean up any messes...

1. How long have you been homeschooling (or if finished, how long did you homeschool)?

My son Owen, spent three weeks in Kindergarten before my husband and I decided it was not a good fit and we dove headlong into homeschooling. We are beginning our fourth year of learning at home and have never looked back!

2. One of the main benefits of homeschooling is the freedom and flexibility it allows. Can you give us a few examples of how this freedom and flexibility benefited you (your family)?

Owen will tell you that the freedom to sleep in and not have to scramble in the morning to catch a school bus is pretty great! This is the same boy who spends most every evening reading until the wee hours, so it all makes sense and balance is achieved.

I enjoy being able to design our homeschooling adventures around my son's
interests, following his lead and getting caught up for a few days or a few weeks in the subjects that he is inspired by. We are still exploring chemistry and the Table of Periodic Elements after nearly three years because Owen really loves it.


3. Another benefit of homeschooling is the fun factor. Can you give us a few examples of some especially fun times you had as a result of homeschooling?

There are so many!

We had a great time designing cell structures using candy, exploring all the critters found in our pond and then there was the animal scat identification project using chocolate playdough.

Making ice marbles last winter with balloons, water and food coloring was pretty cool too.


4. We all have funny experiences while homeschooling. Can you share one of yours with us?

Owen is into goo, slime and kitchen concoctions. I have entered the kitchen more than once to see the entire table covered in cornstarch, flour, food coloring and oozing substances.

He always says the same thing - "It's science, Mom!"

4 comments:

dawn klinge said...

I loved reading Tara's interview...she's one of those homeschooling mom's that I admire.

Stephanie said...

I love Tara and Owen!
Even if her style does make me feel long-winded. :)

Debbie H. said...

Isn't that photo great? I just love it!

Dawn Suzette said...

They do have lots of fun! Love Tara's blog and all the great things they do!