She Always Knew She Would Homeschool: Kandy's Interview


Kandy was homeschooled herself and it must have been a good experience for her because she's now carrying on the tradition with her own family. They live in Kansas and she writes about her family on her blog, Unschooler Mom. She also started an unschooling group for her local area.

Kandy chose to be a bit more mysterious when answering the question about a funny experience, but it does sound like she's had a few adventures while exploring nature. I know how she feels.

1. How long have you been homeschooling (or if finished, how long did you homeschool)?

I was homeschooled for seven years - from fifth grade through my highschool graduation. I always knew I would homeschool any kids I may have. I have two sons. We began homeschooling them three years ago, when my six-year old was three years old. 

2. One of the main benefits of homeschooling is the freedom and flexibility it allows. Can you give us a few examples of how this freedom and flexibility benefited you (your family)?

I started an unschooling group almost two years ago. I love it that we can meet during the day, instead of having to save all of the fun activities for evening when the kids are getting tired and cranky.

3. Another benefit of homeschooling is the fun factor. Can you give us a few examples of some especially fun times you had as a result of homeschooling?

I think some of our favorite days are our "park days." These are days that we walk to the park that's four/five blocks away and spend the day there. We fill the backpacks with books, a picnic lunch, a sack for anything natural we might find my sons to use to make an art collage out of when we get home, and just enjoy the day.

4. We all have funny experiences while homeschooling. Can you share one of yours with us?

I admit that I am a very traditional learner. My sons are not! They love exploring nature. I have done things I never would have dreamed of doing had it not been for my sons. I have been hiking in the hills, searching for shells by the lake, played with slugs, and so much more. Some of these adventures have not been pretty - for me, anyway. :^)

No comments: